NASA’s latest Mars lander transformed an engineering team’s high-risk brainstorming into reality on Sunday, safely lowering the rover into Mars’ Gale Crater. See the top topography of Mars as captured by the HiRise camera currently onboard the Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter.
More Photography from Time
- Window on Infinity: From Saturn to Mars to Deep Space to Home
- These are 11 of the Oldest Things in the World
- Window on Infinity: Winter Pictures from Icy Space
- Space Photos: 45-Year-Old Footprints, and More
- Window on Infinity: A New Year’s Photo Album From Space
- Earthrise on Christmas Eve: The Picture That Changed the World