The folks at Olympus know a thing or two about what makes a pretty picture. One thing they appreciate is that the most striking images are often the ones that are too small to see. That’s why they’re now in their tenth year of sponsoring the Olympus BioScapes Digital Imaging competition, soliciting photographs captured under the microscope by competitors from around the world. Of the thousands of Images they received this year, the 10 that follow were the winners. The first place finisher receives either an Olympus microscope or camera equipment, both valued at $5,000. The rest of us get some of the most improbably beautiful sights we’d otherwise never hope to see.
More Photography from Time
- The Space Sorority: Fifty Years of Women in Orbit
- Rock It, Man: Stunning Space Photos Paired With Cosmos-Themed Songs
- Cockroaches, Sponges and Snakes: The Top 10 New Species
- The Most Endangered Freshwater Turtles and Tortoises
- Window on Infinity: Pictures from Space
- The Solar Powered Plane Soars Across the U.S.